The flowers in the garden are in full bloom but lavender season is almost over by August so it’s time to harvest your crop! This lavender has been grown in our beautiful Allumi garden.
Once you have it, dry it out on a bed of tissue paper or kitchen roll in a dry warm place – somewhere like a utility or laundry room .
Once it is totally dry you will find it easy to shake or pull off the flowers. Keep the stems, tie them into small bundles and use them to fragrance your home, work-space or car.
Now comes the best bit. Fill an organza or hessian pouch with the flowers. Tie the draw string and you have a scented lavender bag for your draw or wardrobe. You can keep one on your pillow for restful sleep.
Did you know that you can even purchase culinary lavender for baking lavender scones ?
Follow our simple recipe below to try delicious Lavender Scones.
Here is the recipe ( I bought my culinary lavender online from Cotswold Lavender)
• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 cup sugar
• 2 tsp dried lavender buds
• 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp salt
• 1/4 tsp baking soda
• 1/3 cup cold butter cut into cubes
• 1/2 cup buttermilk or substitute (see note)
• 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
3. Whisk together flour, sugar, lavender buds, baking powder, salt, and baking soda
4. Using a pastry blender, combine butter with dry ingredients until it resembles coarse cornmeal
5. Add vanilla to your buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute), reserving 2 tbsp for brushing on scones.
6. Add milk to dry ingredients and combine.
7. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead quickly until dough takes shape.
8. Pat dough into a rectangle shape.
9. Cut the rectangle lengthwise and then each rectangle in half. Cut each piece diagonally in half so that you end up with eight triangles.
10. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Brush the top of each scone with the liquid you are using, and sprinkle with sugar and lavender buds.
11. Bake for 15 minutes until golden.
12. Cool on a rack.
‘Scent with Love’
Ally and Allumi Team…xxxx